October 15, 2009

Alternate Universes -- Off Topic

A quick off-topic post.  Just now leaving for a trip to Amsterdam and Bruges.  I have not been away like this for a long time.  This is a pilgrimage to visit the painter heroes/saints I revered in my youth.  The Northern Renaissance Primitive paintings have a fairy-tale quality, like windows into detailed illustrations of miraculous occurrences. I wonder, are  people like Hans Memling and Hugo van der Goes and Rogier van der Weyden still walking the earth today?  Are people just like them still even inhabiting the area from which they were produced?  I suspect there are -- I think there must be -- perhaps they don't even know it themselves, that they are people who would have been great painters if they lived in another time.

Look carefully under the background curtain and you will see van der Goes has put this beautiful, calm, privileged child close to a huge dragon, just behind her - the monstrous mouth is open and the teeth are as large as her hands, while the eyes are limpid as old crystal. The old masters often depicted their subjects with completely calm expressions, beautifully dressed and composed, while placing them in the midst of suspended mayhem.  Just like real life in the real world...

I'll be back next week to post on perfume!  I am missing the great Fall Ball gathering of Sniffapalooza, and have to rely upon the reports of my friends to catch up with the new things for Winter...

2 comments:

ScentScelf said...

What a wonderful trip you shall have! Hoping that, as you shall rely upon friends to share Sniffa experience, we can get a taste of Amsterdam and Bruges from you. :)

Scent Hive said...

Lucy,

Wishing you safe and fabulous travels. I can't wait to read about your art and scent discoveries. Studying Northern Renaissance Art back in the day was a highlight of being an art history major. Such incredible detail, color and symbolism! Enjoy!

~Trish