October 23, 2007

Aftermath

Having gone to the Fall Sniffapalooza on Saturday, I came away with a number of impressions. Actually, the experience is so intensive it takes a few days to sink in. One thing I was ultra happy about was finally meeting the perfumista-par-excellence Chayaruchama, a/k/a Ida, who graciously gave me a lot of wonderful perfume talk, songs, stories and book recommendations, and who was my co-conspirator in the plot to kiss every dog who crossed our paths in the streets of NYC (at least all those who would allow it, which happened to be basically 100% -- dogs are generally so very agreeable and resistance was futile, anyway). She is a true lover of beauty in all its guises. Neil Morris created a fragrance inspired by her, Eau de Ida, of strong incense, deep woods, and I don't know what else -- it was wonderful on her and still deliciously strong on the test strip that I kept.

I came away with a candle by Guerlain -- Hiver en Russie, very strong, even unlit and still covered. I wanted something special for the coming cold months, and I am sure that it will scent the entire place. I will write about it further at Now Smell This. I think it must be about as good as it gets in the scented candle department. I remember the heated scent it threw at the last Guerlain Sniffa I attended. I also went for L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses and have been immensely enjoying this smoke-y earthy rose. It lasts and lasts even though it is an EDT, for many hours. I seem to be getting more attracted to the so-called unisex scents these days. It came with a gift of L'Eau D'Ambre shower gel which gives a mellow tone to my hot shower these autumn mornings.

One thing I have found reinforced yet once again, was how huge a difference there is between what perfume smells like in the bottle or on a strip and how it smells on me. I have read so many enthusiastic reviews but have found often that people are absolutely passionate about perfumes that don't work on me, at all, at all. I think I must have some kind of madly reactive acid mantle or very absorbent skin, or something. I tried three very beautiful things, works of art, that didn't work on me me in the way they were meant to (thank heavens, I don't need more temptation). Caron's Narcisse Noir -- I was so excited by this on a scent strip, but I lost the Narcisse completely and it was Noir alone on me; L'Artisan Mure et Musc just disappeared, very odd, and Chanel Cuir de Russie which I thought sounded perfect, all about leather and honey, lost it's dimension on my skin completely.

I will write again later since I am still somewhat delirious and overstimulated right now. I liked that the festivities were moved down to the first floor at Takashimaya, and impressed with the variety and unusual selection specifically, though it was so crowded that day. Il Profumo and Yosh are both there and they had things that really hit me.

I loved meeting the perfumer Ineke Ruhland, I have been wearing Balmy Days and Sundays during the last of the warm days of late summer, and it is a fragrance that dependably makes me feel good. I think it must be the grass and musk notes together, two of my favorites not often combined.

I hope to read other people's impressions soon, too. Sniffapalooza Magazine has a lot about many of the perfumers whose works were featured. Meeting Raphaella was lovely, she is so knowledgeable and down to earth, and her kind words were so encouraging. Her love of roses makes her my kindred spirit.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Lucy,

Sniffa was great fun. My only regret is that I did not have an opportunity to tell you in person how much I enjoy your blog. Thank you so much!

Lucy said...

Thank you so much Nancy! Next time we shall be sure to cross paths...

Anonymous said...

Well said!
I enjoy reading your blog as well.
Hugs,
RHM
(Christine)

chayaruchama said...

Time spent with you was a joy.
What a way to kick off one wild ride of a weekend !

See how much pleasure you bring to others.....

It IS hard to take everything in- such a hubbub and extremely noisy.
NOT good for the nerves, but lovely for the soul.

Lucy said...

Thank you Christine!

Chaya -- I won't soon forget it! I look forward to more...so great to get to spend time with you.

Karenska said...

Aftermath is right, Lucy! Hard to believe it's been a week since Sniffapalooza, and I'm still going through all the samples! It's an intense experience and one that stays with you for quite a while. Thanks for your eloquent recap of the day. I always look forward to reading Indieperfumes, and seeing your perspective on the day.

Lucy said...

Karen -- Thank you so much for all the work and passion you put into organizing the events. You are phenomenal! As is your partner in crime!
I have learned so much from the exposure to other perfumistas and the classes you two have arranged....

Leopoldo said...

So glad you had such a great time. I'd've been right there with the dog kissing...

looking forward to reading about the candle.

Lucy said...

Leopoldo!

Thank you for the comment -- I wish we had met and joined forces on the animal front -- and for conversation!
Next time I hope we will.

greeneyes said...

I am sooo jealous that you got to go to Sniffa and meet Chaya. She sent me a sample of her perfume and it's quite lovely. You must have had so much fun!

I am right there with you with Mure et Musc...it disappears on me, too! The cologne smells wonderful on my hubby and has great lasting power, so I have to make do with that.