January 13, 2007

Beauty and the Beast

Lately the great attention that fashionable people, among them young actors, stylists and others, and a major article in the New York Times has highlighted the beauty without cruelty movement. Vegans don't want to wear, much less eat anything that harms animals, and their numbers are growing. The market for cruelty free products has grown exponentially, and now can support sites and stores that exclusively offer new and stylish fashions and cosmetics. Now, probably because the demographic of the vegan subculture is comprised of the young adult fashion forward crowd, designers like Stella McCartney and others are creating for this market. Indeed, there are more and more designers and stylists who are vegetarian and vegan themselves. Maybe more in Britain and California than in NYC; but NYC has a number of fun new stores, especially on the Lower East Side, offering fashionable vegan wares. As far as perfume and cosmetics go, those who have been making natural and organic perfumes all along are the natural choice for those who put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. There are sites that offer everything from belts and shoes to nail polish and mascara. As I have written of previously (in my Halloween post) it seems the goth subculture is also very interested in the vegetarian/vegan cosmetic beauty products, ironically enough. The blood thirsty and tough image belies a very soft hearted interior.
Above, Jean Marais as the Beast in La Belle et la Bete by Jean Cocteau

3 comments:

Ayala Sender said...

Lucy,
Have you heard of the reformulation of Ciste 18 from Le Labo to not include natural civet? I think the new formulation, with synthetic civet instead, was renamed Labdanum 18.
I always found it interesting that so many Goths are vegan as well, rather than vampires LOL. Interesting movement and I am proud to be part of it myself!

chaya ruchama said...

Several well-known figures are helping to popularize this movement- one of the more seductive [God help me !] is Joaquin Phoenix, a long-time vegan.

Thank you for my favorite image of beloved Jean Cocteau...
So dear to my heart- apparently, he and Edith Piaf died within hours of one another...
Two soulmates.

The less cruelty in the world, the better...

Lucy said...

Ayala - no, I did not realize they were actually using civet at all at Le Labo, glad to hear that's in the past. I am thinking of going vegetarian again myself this new year, because of the animals (I have been for years on and off in the past, but never really had a balanced vegetarian menu worked out. It would take more than just catch as catch diet can these days for me to maintain the ability to stay completely on course). I found it wonderful that so many famously beautiful people are now vegans and vegetarians, it almost seems like it has become a majority in certain worlds, such as the arts and beauty. Goes to show you can be very healthy and even muscular as a vegetarian. Of course, many of them have chefs and nutritionists making sure they have a balanced diet. I have cut back already a great deal and find myself very reluctant to buy leather goods. I think it is beneficial, though, that there are people buying the organic meat because it supports a better type of animal husbandry than what is in place now, and support changes in agribusiness as a whole.
I found it interesting to check out the stores listed in the NYT article, for the shoes and clothes. There were shirts of bamboo and pants made of corn fiber, very soft, for yoga, and nice shoes and belts.

Chaya, we share a great favorite, Jean Marais as the Beast has been an icon for me. Jean Cocteau's films have been deeply embedded in my psyche, their beauty is beyond compare...