November 7, 2006

Honey - L'Occitane

By chance, I tried the the body balm by L'Occitane in Honey today, and found it actually very close in scent to real honey. It had a nectar-ish feel, goes on with a serum like intensity but has a creamy appearance, and leaves a blush of strong honey fragrance on the skin.

It has some therapeutic ingredients high in the list, such as bee pollen and royal jelly, yet is mild enough for children's use. I anticipate that for the winter this is a really soothing product for sensitive dry skin. I have used the face cream based on honey and found it to be one of the few to be truly non-irritating while rich enough for the bad weather.

Honey, as we know, from childhood obsession with the ancient Eygptians, is antiseptic and preservative. All bee products have been used for millenia in many cultures as an emollient and preservative for the skin. There is something about the warm fragrance of honey that imparts a calming effect, suitable for both winter and summer. Also I thought the charming soap in the shape of a honey bee with folded wings would be a nice hand-held dissolving reminder of sweetness in the hot water of the morning shower before facing the cold work week days this season.   It would be nice to also have the candle going in the bathroom in the evening to warm the night air with a reminder of the activity of the bee's busy summer gathering.

From reading Colette, I have learned that honey bees get kind of drowsy drunk with the sun and sweetness while gathering nectar at the flowers. I remember her writing that you can actually pet them, stroking their stripey furred bodies without their being disturbed. I've tried it and found it to be true at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens in the herb section, and also in the Shakespeare Garden, where there many gather during the flowering season.

Above, Apis Mellifera in action...love the Latin name!

4 comments:

Anya said...

So many wonderful, healing, fragrant, tasty products from the little bee. I have an affinity with bees, for all my stumbling and bumbling (made a joke there!) around gardens and orchards and field crops, I've never been stung.

I collect all kinds of rare and wonderful honeys from the native plants of south Florida, like mangrove honey, ironwood, wildflowers, orange blossom, etc. etc. I love to give myself facials with them.

I've never petted a bee, so you have my admiration for snuggling up to the sleepy critters. Bees and goats - two great contributors to beauty and perfume ;-) The stinkey old goats give us milk for skin products and cheese and other dairy, and the occasional hairs for perfume. My Pan perfume has bee goo and goat hair tincture in it - and it makes me happy!

Wouldn't it be luxurious to soak in a goat milk bath scented with honey? Your skin would be fab-u-lous!

Lucy said...

Hi Anya! Nice to hear from you. Hope your projects on all fronts are doing well. Yes, bees and goats are the two essential types that I would have on my farm, if I ever have one. Then I would do the warm goat milk bath with honey, on a regular basis...

chaya ruchama said...

I'm enjoying that bee-goat image myself...

Anonymous said...

Hi Anya, You were saying that you get a lot of South florida honeys. I live down here, so I was wondering where you get your honeys. Contact me at shavethechildrenof2004@yahoo.com

thanks
-Cory