October 22, 2006

Sniffapalooza Uptown - the Fall...

I am still assimilating the experience of the perfume safari known as Sniffapalooza.

This past Saturday morning, at our first stop, Bergdorf's, it seems like my unconscious mind lead me directly to Caron's Poivre. As I said my post below, I have always had a predilection for the clove scent of true carnation, which this fragrance combines with the spark of pepper, that mellows down over time to something like a soft leather, supported by Caron's legendary dark undercurrent.

I've never had anything from Caron before, and felt I wanted to find something of theirs that I could take away with me that day, in respect to the house and to personally experience over time a beauty from one of the most fabled of the fine French perfume houses, and this was the one that lead me to make a true love at first encounter snap decision to acquire it. It was a very exciting start to the day.

For far more detailed descriptions of this fragrance, please check these links to Basenotes and Bois de Jasmine's wonderful reviews and their readers' informative comments. Another wonderful autumnal type of fragrance that I found immensely attractive was Ambre by Etro, a single note of amber that had a long and smooth true amber voice shading into an almost caramel tone, absent of any sweetness.

I then had the opportunity to try Diamond Water by JAR, which I had been looking forward to (wonderful but not exactly what I thought it would be, not the deep amethyst kind of tone I was expecting - but then that is my eternal holy grail).

This is one of the best aspects of the Sniffapalooza event, the ability to try many different special things with a focus and concentration lent by the purpose of the day, in the company of many knowledgeable perfumistas for interaction and informed comment.

Next, we were onto Henri Bendel's, where there were many new artisanal lines and also classics that I wanted to try. The very new things there did not have any particular galvanizing affect on me, though it was certainly very interesting to try them. I loved the contact with Aftelier's Shiso again. The standouts that I discovered for myself there were Yuzu Rouge by 06130, pretty much definitively encapsulating the essence of floral happiness, as one of the group said, and Molinard's Nirmala which on me was almost immediately a vanilla floral with sandalwood that was delicious.

The whole experience of going with so many people from place to place and trying so many things on, and then also finding out how the same perfumes were on other people really emphasized how absolutely different the experience of each perfume is for each person, how the skin reacts so incredibly individually to each perfume.

The Perfume Critic blogger Marlen gave a talk at lunch on the internet's galvanizing effect on the world of perfume, and its role connecting the aficionados who are now communicating with each other directly about their enthusiasms. He gave exciting news about his plan to bring together writers to contribute articles and stories about perfume from the many different cultures and perspectives around the world, starting this February. A terrific idea whose time has come.

It was great to meet the writer Ina of Aromascope whose work I have admired so much (see my link list if you don't know her already). There was much more, Takashimaya had a beautifully simple presentation of Yosh perfumes, among which the White Flowers fragrance was truly memorable, fresh and uplifting, extremely feminine.

Truly I am amazed at the stamina and energy of the more than one hundred people participating in this event, many coming from thousands of miles away, because I for one started to find it difficult to keep up with them after about three hours.

I will be posting much more on it all again soon.  Warmest thanks and gratitude to the two amazing Karens of Sniffapalooza who brought us all together and organized the event schedule with such insightful thoughtfulness and care. It was so much fun.

Above photo a Sniffa an example of an attendee's haul, supervised by her concerned cat...

6 comments:

chaya ruchama said...

How delightful for you !

I would have enjoyed meeting Ina and Marlen, and you , too...

So glad you bought the Poivre- a really fine choice- moody, profoundly, disturbingly floral/ smoky with its turn-of-season melancholy [I wear it , too].
It's often hard to choose only one Caron, I find, because they have a way of expressing so many facets of one's nature.

White Flowers is a joy, but feels more vernal to me.

As I know you're a fellow violet lover, had you the opportunity to sniff the Aimez-Moi in parfum [Caron] ?
It's really full and lusciously violet, while the Farnesiana has a more powdery loveliness.

Love to hear more about your exploits...

Lucy said...

Chaya, -- you might like to go to the next one, in the Spring or Summer, and I know they are doing a showing of the movie "Perfume" in NYC for the group in December, that would be fun, I am going to go to that for sure. Contact either one of the Karens at the Sniffapolooza link above or to the right. You are such a afficionado that I can't imagine you would not be welcomed with open arms.
No, I did not get to try the other Caron scents you mention, I will get over to Bergdorf's again very soon for that purpose and to retry some others. I think I must have tried 50 perfumes that day ( I know it sounds insane). In a situation like that, only a very few will really stand out as to how they are reacting to your own skin and as you know you need to wait an hour or more to really find out how it will be...

sariah said...

Hey Lucy,

It was great to meet you at Sniffa, thanks for posting your impressions. I had even more fun the 2nd day at Bond and Le Labo especially. Enjoy your Poivre, I'm loving my Tabac Blonde. Caron rocks! It's all kind of a blur now....

Lucy said...

Sariah:
Yes, I heard you all got to meet M. Roucel at Bond - that must have been very exciting.
I love those guys at Le Labo, see my post from a couple of weeks ago below - they are the Iris posting...
It was really nice to meet with and share impressions of the perfume experience with you. Hope you get to come back for the movie screening of Perfume in December...

Karenska said...

Thanks for your wonderful recap of Saturday's Sniffa, and Friday's FIT Workshop, Lucy! As always, very thoughtful writing, and it's such a pleasure to relive the events through your eyes.

Oh how I wish you were with us at Bond to meet Maurice! You would have loved him!

perfume blue said...

Ah….the sweet, smell of perfume! Today's market is flooded with hundreds and hundreds of different fragrances ranging from floral to woodsy. Most women love the smell of perfume, wearing it even when going to the grocery store. The problem is that perfume allergy for some women, is anything but nice.