August 2, 2006

Ocean Therapy and Beach Reading

So far I have not made it out to the beach this year. Now that the heat has reached triple digits, I am planning to soon. The quickest would be to go very early one morning on a weekday for a fast dip into the ocean right in Brooklyn's Coney Island. At 7:30 am no one will be there, but the seagulls and the empty carnival rides at my back. They renovated the beach recently and put tons of fresh white sand down at the shore. The other best time to go is at sundown, when the heat and sun are far more obilique and you can watch the sunset. Looking into ocean therapy I found an outfit in England that promises just that, a lady who performs reiki treatments, Thai massage and cranical sacral adjustments while you float in the ocean, and then you can choose to have a swim with human friendly dolphins. If anything could give an attitude adjustment I imagine it would be that. I think just simply the ocean, all the minerals and salts and bits of seaweed and sand, and the rythmic movement of the sea itself will be quite good enough even without such added luxuries, though far be it from me to disdain them.
For beach and travel reading I am indulging guilty pleasures, as is traditional and fitting, and also some more edifying selections. The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber, is a potboiler in the style of Dickens, only with a modern sensibility on sex included, prominently features a perfumer and perfume making; it is vastly entertaining and practically endless. Plus, I just received my copy of The Smell Culture Reader, edited by Jim Drobnick, quickly acting on recommendation of Legerdenez (see blog link to right). I await The Emperor of Scent, about Luca Turin, the witty and urbane fragrance scientist with pleasurable anticipation. So, after all this wholesome indulgence of ocean exposure and bookish immersion in fragrance concerns, I expect to emerge aerated and transformed and immensely improved...
Image: Vintage postcard of the Steeplechase in Coney Island, about 1910

5 comments:

Kala said...

I completely agree with you on all aspects - the time to go, the healing properties etc. I also avoid the peak crowd hours and high sun time of day that can do unimaginable damage to the body - the ocean is such a natural healer, I try to make it out almost everyday - its done wonders for my state of mind and health - and something I also try to encourage others to partake in. Any wonderful post and eloquent writing! I only wish I could write so well.

Lucy said...

Thanks Kala, you are very kind.
I know in Hawaii you have beaches that are just paradisical, I so envy your access to pure nature!

Kala said...

Youre welcome =) and the forest is just was amazing as the beaches - I started organizing weekly hikes with friends just so people can see and appreciate the beauty we someimes take for granted =)

Lucy said...

Kala, I don't know if you have meetup.com in Hawaii, they are national and international, and it is a good way to organize people for such walks. We have one here and are organizing hikes and walks locally. The good thing is the internet set up is done, has an rsvp system, you can post photos, etc.
www.meetup.com - check by city or by group. Or I am sure you can start up a branch as a group leader and thereby use their templates and site to publicize and communicate as to scheduling and group members meeting each other and coordination, if necessary. Sounds so lovely to do weekly hiking in Hawaii.

Anya said...

Hi Luccia
I just reviewed the Smell Culture Reader on my blog, and checked with Luca Turin to confirm -- the perfume reviews of his in the SCR for the most part have not appeared in print before, except for some in the Emperor of Scent. Synchronicity. ;-)