July 7, 2006

Hand Work

Artists have paid great attention to the beauty of hands and their gestures, and seem to prefer hands that look strong, useful and dexterous, that look as if they are capable and can perform skillful work, like musicians or artist's hands.

I also enjoy the hands of the very old, because the veins and tendons are much more visible and you can more clearly see the beauty of the underlying structure.

For me it is important to actually use my hands fairly constantly and I find that overly soft skin with very perfect nails are lovely to look at but need so much protection that they become not much use in the life I lead.

If hands have become too rough from overwork or immersion in harsh liquids, they can be exfoliated every day, with a product used for the face. After a week you will see the newer finer skin uncovered.

Almond oil applied to the cuticle and nail area and then buffed will keep the nails looking healthy. You can rub such oil or some heavy moisture barrier cream frequently into your hands focusing on the knuckles and finger joints with circular movements, then gently pulling to ease the joints. Then use the thumbs to massage the backs upward in the direction of the wrist to clear any congestion. Such massage and exfoliation will also normalize the circulation and encourage the more even distribution of pigmentation.

If you have really worked too hard and require deep repair, you can soak your hands in salt water for 15-20 minutes every day to two weeks to reduce any swelling or puffiness. Hands and nails take a lot of damage from life in general but transform surprisingly quickly with regular attention, and every effort made to keep moisturising for protection and massaging for circulation will be repaid in full. To be able to know and enjoy the texture of anything you need healthy hands.

(Above, DaVinci study of hands, 1474.)

Copyright 2006 Lucy Raubertas, All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

IamgonebutIllbeback said...

Hi Luccia,

I am so happy to have found your blog. I have linked to your blog from my blog. Your writing, knowledge base, and pictures are just fabulous! Are you a part of the natural perfumery group on Yahoo Groups?

Cheers,
Alexis

Lucy said...

Thanks! I visited your site, wonderful story on how you came to discover your grandmother's notes -- yes, I joined the natural perfumery group but have not really participated fully as of yet. I will add your link, your products sound wonderful. Eventually perhaps we can exchange a few small samples of each other's fragrances -- I have made a few for myself and I'm very curious about your work...

IamgonebutIllbeback said...

I would love to do that. It's funny about the natural perfumery group; I just unjoined because I realized that they're going in a different direction. I wrote about my becoming a perfume fascist--it was meant to be funny. I hope if any of the NP group members see my post (Confessions of a Hardcore Organic Perfumer), they'll understand.

Alexis

Lucy said...

I haven't been there much lately, but I will check it out - I'm sure they will catch that you are being funny, anyway...
or else they will sic that lady from "slap of the day" on you (she's great - from England, I see her linked on Bois de Jasmine)...

Rajesh Dangi said...

nice sketch...

Lucy said...

Rajesh, yes, it's DaVinci, nice to remind ourselves he is such a great artist and not responsible for the Code bestseller at all...

ahmed said...

oh i like this kind of art

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »