July 25, 2006

Contrasts

Walker Fractal Gallery
I had an experience of contrasts, and re-confirmation of my current tastes, after I went to Saks Fifth Avenue, and tried a few fragrances.

I found the different perfumes within certain lines, such as Bond No. 9, rather more similar to each other than I expected.

Also not very different, or different enough, than many other fragrances there right now, in that I expected a more  edgy NYC feel; but then that might not be appealing to a greater market.

In contrast, at the same time, samples arrived directly from Zz's Petals, aka Liz Zorn perfumes. For $20 a variety of five hand made fragrances in tiny vials, mostly of the strong and intense vein, very individualistic. My clear preference, anyway.

I was trying one on per day, and then could go back and try again a couple of more times, thereby formulating an opinion and a feel for each fragrance. The initial experience, the first five seconds, were a little shocking and medicinal, but five more seconds they bloomed into their own fullness, and there was a dimension and depth to each of them that pulled me in and left me wanting more.

These lasted and changed on the skin in pleasant ways over the course of hours. Particularly Sinti, the rose absolute on rose essential oil fragrance, with Balsam of Peru (a favorite) among other things.

There is much to be said for the approach of obtaining small vial samples, certainly it is very difficult to base a decision on anything less.

The handmade fragrances using a high concentration of organic and natural essences gave, not surprisingly, a much stronger and fuller experience and the impression of beauty within the scents lingered much longer than the more mainstream department store fragrances.


Above image: Walker Fractal Gallery - link

Copyright 2006, Lucy Raubertas, All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

Zz said...

Morning Luccia, thank you for the kind words about the perfumes.
Being that all of these fragrances began as my own personal perfumes. I was not sure how my individual taste would translate to others. Surprisingly there are quite a few gals out there who are not one bit afraid of a little bold color.
So I guess I am in good company, because I love to wear engaging fragrances.
The samples that you received are of the Parfume Extrait, which as you said are strong and intense. Which is what I love in a perfume created for the night. It must be the old fashioned girl in me coming out. Because I have a shameless desire for bold nighttime scents. Afterall some of our more erotic scent flowers bloom at night.
I am also glad that you liked Sinti, because it has a very special place in my heart. When I think back to my earliest memories of women wearing perfume I think of my paternal grandmother.
She always smelled of something floral, and her rose gardens, that were rich with heady spice and old world rose fragrance. have never left me.
Just walking near the old roses one could be completely enveloped by their aroma. It was from that memory that I created Sinti. .
Again, Thank You for your kind words. I was not expecting it, and it is a wonderful way to start a morning.
Peace, Z..........

Anonymous said...

These rose perfumes always remind one of a grandmother or aunt. They were the prevalent perfume in the old days.
Thank you for the info.
Chris.

Lucy said...

It makes sense that people used to rely heavily on natural fragrances such as rose and lavender in the past, since there were no chemical inventions in the fragrance world at the time, or they were just beginning to be used. In the end, we are going back to them because of their connection to the natural world and because they make many of us feel good. Walking around in a cloud of rose seems like a very good idea to me...

Zz said...

Actually, Chris, it is the roses themselves that bring the perfumes to life. My memories go back over 45 years, when it waas commonplace to grow Centifolia, Rugosa, Bourbon, Alba and other Heirloom roses. Not as common in the rose gasrden today, which are dominated by Hybrid Tea Roses and, florabunda varities.
The old varities are still available, but are most often seen in serious gardens.
I grow a few of them, but nothing like those that grew in my Grandparents gardens.
And the perfumes, particularly my Sinti perfume, is only inspired by those gardens; it smells nothing like Grandmothers perfume. she always wore light understated floral scents.
A proper southern woman, I doubt that she would have ever entertained the thought of wearing abold heady fragrance.

Anya said...

Now, if you were from India, ZZ, your grandma might have smelled of sambac or champaca ;-)

Luccia, my favorite is Misetu -- after about 30 minutes the drydown is the most gorgeous lovely floral. I keep sniffing my wrist obsessively. Maybe it's the synergy/alchemy of the blueberry alcohol with the aromatics? The intial intense blast of champaca and white lotus prepared me for something woody or oriental in the drydown, and I was so surprised. That surprise is the mark or a great perfumer.

annie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Luccia!

Fragrance, nature, and the care of body and soul: all three topics are compelling to me. And I'll be back for more.

Have you ever come across the SafeCosmetics.org site? Through their Skin Deep link, they providing ratings for the chemical safety of various cosmetic products and fragrances.

It's been a real eye opener for me, ESPECIALLY when it comes to fragrances.

How wonderful that you blend your own.

Lucy said...

Annie - Good to know about that SafeCosmetics site, I will certainly look into them ---

Anya - the Misetu has a very strong change from initial contact to the way it ends up ripening on the skin, I have enjoyed it very much...